Sunday, March 13, 2016

Weekly Report and Reflection #9

Hi Again! (x2)

As you may have noticed, this is my third post this week, as I have been doing many different things this week to talk about digital citizenship. I am aware that I have already given my opinion on VoiceThread, but I will touch upon this tool again for my weekly reflection. 

VoiceThread. (CC) 2014.
As I have previously mentioned, although I do see how VoiceThread can be useful, I do not personally think I will be implementing this tool in the future. My favourite part of this tool is the fact that I can hear the voices of the people leaving comments on this site. I listed this reason because you are able to actually hear another person talk about their opinions on the topic that you have clicked, which can help you establish a sort of intimacy with another user. This can also help to ensure that there is not a misunderstanding between what a person is saying because you are able to actually hear them (something that is a problem if you are just reading a comment). However, as I thought about this more, I realized that because there still is an option to just type out your comments, the possibility of misunderstanding is still there. I also thought about how this site may not be the most useful for people who are deaf or hard of hearing because they would be missing out on the voice comments. 

That being said, I still would not know how I would incorporate this site into my life as a student and for that reason, I would not include it in my PLE. I could understand why someone would want to implement this tool into their PLE, although I have no idea how they would do so. I feel that I would prefer to just find a blog and provide a written comment, that I would have to ensure makes my point clearly. 
Polldaddy. (CC) 2016.
Another site that I looked into was PollDaddy, which I thought was interesting. I like the idea that you can create your own polls, surveys, and quizzes. I find that this would be more useful than VoiceThread, as I could see how I could put this tool into action. I would recommend PollDaddy to psychology students, as it has been in those classes that I have had to create polls for. However, as I am not a Psychology student, I would also leave this site out of my PLE because I would not need it. 

I decided to read other classmates' blogs about VoiceThread to see if they shared my opinion of the site and found that Andrea had brought up an interesting way in which it could be used in the future. I was pleased to see that Andrea would not implement it currently, which made me feel slightly relieved that I was not missing out on a great way to use the tool. I highly suggest going over to her blog and seeing her perspective!

From this weeks Feedly, I found Richard Byrne posted about three updates that Google Docs has done this week. Although this does not relate to this week specifically, I have written about Google Docs! These updates will definitely make you a more efficient digital user and encourage you to use Google Docs more. One update in particular could be useful to teachers, in allowing people to export the docs to an EPUB format. If you are interested, please read more at Byrne's blog!

Until next week!
Nicole

1 comment:

  1. Hi Nicole,
    Three successful posts for week 9 - thank you!

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete