Saturday, April 9, 2016

Weekly Report and Reflection #12

Hello Everyone,

I am sorry that this blog post is a little late, but I cannot wait to share my final thoughts about being a digital citizen with all of you! 

Before writing this post, I was asked to google myself to see what I would find, which I found to be quite interesting. As most of my accounts online are private or under slightly different names, I could not find myself easily, which I prefer. However, that being said, I have learned a lot about the importance of having a positive digital footprint. Everyone should make a conscious effort to ensure that they are not on bad sites for the safety of themselves as online users, but also to make sure that you are not tainting your image with what you are looking at. I think connections can definitely be made between your digital footprint and your learning online. If you have a more positive footprint, I believe you will be a better digital citizen and have better etiquette online, rather than someone with a negative footprint. 

Parent Paperwork. (CC) 2016.
By having a more positive footprint and being a better online citizen, I think it makes you a better person to interact with online. As people who have more negative footprints do not care about their online tracks, they can be in areas online that are dangerous, dealing with less etiquette than positive footprint users frequent. I think by respecting people online and ensuring that you do not take credit for other people's work allows for a positive atmosphere among digital users. It is also important to treat people how you would like to be treated, reporting other people who are not being friendly online users. This will help to maintain a better atmosphere where other people can feel safer perusing the internet. An example of reporting online users could be found on Twitter or Youtube where you are able to mute or report people who are being rude online. This also allows for people to feel that they have more control over what is happening in their surroundings, while teaching other people that they cannot just say whatever comes to mind. 

As a digital citizen, I think it is important to correct people online when they are getting too rude, while also ensuring that you are not getting yourself riled and giving people what they want. The best way to help others is to lead by example or perhaps creating a blog that I can stress the importance of being a good digital citizen. I think the most important take away from being a good digital citizen using your digital platform to educate others. 

It has been awesome writing this blog for you and I may write again in the future, but for now, I will continue to grow my digital literacy and increase my footprint.

Until we meet again,
Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment