Sunday, February 21, 2016

Reflection #6 - Evernote

Hello Again!

I was off for a week enjoying some time to myself, but I am now back and ready to blog! This week, my class had to focus on the tool Evernote and use this site to help us get ready for one of our upcoming assignments. While working with Evernote, I found that I had many mixed reviews about the site personally. I do not know if I have mentioned this prior, but I am not a tech savvy person, although I can easily maneuver the web tools that I am accustomed to (after a VERY long trial period). So my first experience with Evernote happened to be today, which I found to be an infuriating struggle. I did find that the actual set-up process was quite easy to figure out, which I enjoyed, yet I found the clipart attachment was bothersome to download as it took some time. That being said, I found that the clipart tool was extremely handy, as it is easily accessible. Another pro was that the tool allows you to clip anything you want back to Evernote, including images, videos and various text. I also really liked how it gives you the option on whether you want to only take a portion of the text, everything or just include the link. Another benefit I found was that it is extremely organized. Evernote allows you to create your own different types of notebooks, so when you are clipping from a website, you can put that information into whatever notebook that you want to. Due to its ability to easily organize, I can understand how this would be a great tool to compile sites and information for a project. Although I did initially dislike Evernote because it was like nothing I have ever navigated before, I did find that once I knew what was going on, I could easily figure it out.

http://mergy.org/wp-content/uploads/evernote.png


In a sense, Evernote reminded me of an RSS Feed that you are personally creating, that you can later look at everything that you have assigned. Due to the share feature on Evernote, you could also share your notebooks with partners if need be. However, a downside of Evernote is that you are the only person who is able to edit your notes, so if you did have a partner, they would be privy to your information, but ultimately powerless. If I am honestly speaking (or writing), I could see the benefit of using Evernote in a group, but would prefer to use Google Docs myself because of the ability to edit others work.

I will definitely be adding Evernote to my PLE despite the mixed reviews that I have given the tool throughout the entire blog. I do see how someone could thrive using this tool and I could put it under Education, as I would personally not use it for any other reason.

http://alumni.berkeley.edu/sites/default/files/image/mosquitoZIKA.jpg


Another topic I would like to discuss with you all today is something I found via Feedly! The article is called Canadian Mosquito Tests For Zika Virus Transmission Begins. Within the article, you discover that Brock University is testing for the Zika Virus in Canada to discover if our mosquitoes can carry the virus, which is extremely important to us as Canadians. Without my Feedly, I may not have noticed this article and would not have even thought about the potential that our mosquitoes could start infecting us too.

Until next time!
Nicole

1 comment:

  1. Hi Nicole,

    You note "Within the article, you discover that Brock University is testing for the Zika Virus in Canada to discover if our mosquitoes can carry the virus, which is extremely important to us as Canadians."

    I am so proud to be part of Brock when I read things like this. We truly belong to a leading university. Thank you for sharing this in your blog and creating awareness.

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete