Sunday, February 28, 2016

Reflection #7 - Google Docs

Hello Again!

You know what time of the week this is! I am back to write on another technological tool and discuss what I liked or disliked about it! For this week, Google Docs was the assigned tool, which I was immediately pleased with.

Spanning.  (CC)  2016.
Now I should probably explain why I was so happy with the chosen resource. The truth is, I first discovered Google Docs and Slides last year when I had a group project with four other people. If you have ever been in a group consisting of five members, you know that it is often very hard to be able to meet with all members of your group due to everyone having different schedules. However, one of my group mates introduced us all to Google Docs and Google Slides and my life was forever changed as a student.

This tool is so great for collaboration because it allows for people to work simultaneously or independently on projects, where anyone is able to edit anyone else's work. This is great for a student in a group, who has a tight schedule, as they could input all of their data into the document and help edit when they have time. This also allows for people to see everyone else's progress in the group, which could lead to less stress (or more stress if your group members are not doing their work). I have found that Google Docs is great for group essays, which I have done recently. I especially encourage using Google Docs because each group member can post what sources they will be working with to ensure that no one is using the same source twice.

I also have used Google Docs academically for note taking during class, as there are many functions that allow me to organize my notes. I especially like the various highlighter colours and fonts that can be used. I also found that because Google Docs automatically saves what you are typing, I do not have to worry about losing the information that I have typed. I also think the ability to easily insert pictures is another awesome tool because you do not need to have the picture saved, but can simply use the URL.

Since discovering Google Docs, I have also used it when completing statistics assignments because of the quick save feature and the table insertion. As Word also allows people to insert tables, I found that Google Docs is much more easy to navigate and that adding tables is faster. I have also used Google Docs at work in the summer, as I had to keep a daily journal of the amount of people that I called with notes and found that it was extremely efficient in a Google document.

In regards to my PLE, I had already included Google Docs under my two categories of Education and Communication. I will keep it in this position as it is a tool that benefits both of these areas. As I was already aware of Google Docs and Slides, I did not think it made that much of a difference on my digital literacy. However, as I did play around with more of the functions, I did become more knowledgeable, thus improving my digital literacy!

Blogspot. (CC) 2016.
To end my post for this week, I wanted to share an app that I found from my Feedly. Hack College reviews the app ColorNote, which is an app that is synched up to your phone and Google account, that helps you to stay organized. It helps to keep you aware of checklists using colour coordination, that I think could be incredibily helpful for a student! If you are interested, you should check out their review!



As always, until next time!
Nicole

2 comments:

  1. Hi Nicole!

    That app that you shared from your Feedly called ColourNotes seems really interesting and I will for sure have to check it out! I'm always looking for new ways to stay organized and I have several notepads constantly cycling on my laptop!

    Thanks for the recommendation,
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andrea,

    Glad you found it interesting! Please let me know how it works for you.

    Nicole

    ReplyDelete