Sunday, January 24, 2016

My Experience With RSS Feeds

Prior to the requirement for this class, I had never known what an RSS Feed was. As the sites that I frequent the most tend to be Youtube, Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and CP24, I had never needed to use an RSS Feed. It should also be mentioned that sites like Youtube and Twitter have their own version of a RSS Feed, if you are subscribed to them, allowing you to know which people’s videos that you have missed when you were not on the computer.

https://blog.vanillaforums.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/rss-feed-subscribe.jpg
So, what is an RSS Feed? According to ProBlogger, RSS stands for Really Simple Syndication, which is often related to a newsfeed. This ties into what I have already previously discussed with the similarities found with people who are subscribed to Youtube. RSS Feeds are commonly used by various people who frequent multiple different sites. By having an RSS Feed, it allows for people to ensure that they will not miss a posting from their favourite blog, news station or website. CommonCraft helps to explain RSS Feeds by highlighting the difference it can make to your website perusing. Instead of the user actively going to all of their usual sites to see if anything new is available, the RSS Feed sends the available reading material to the reader via a notification. Whether that user chooses to then read that material is up to them. 

One site that I thought would be the most useful is Brock News. The article that will pop up upon clicking the link deals with the bus transit in St. Catharines and the opinions of the students who need this transit. I think not only this article, but following Brock News is very important. As I am a student of Brock University, I feel that it is extremely vital to know what is going on with my school and factors that would affect me.  I find that having this site in my RSS Feed will allow me to stay connected to the school and allow me to take more of an active role in the school community. 

I will continue to use it throughout the year and keep you all updated! 

No comments:

Post a Comment