Sunday, January 31, 2016

Weekly Report & Reflection Blog Post #4

This week, our topic revolved around curation on the web! I found this topic to be interesting, as it is not something I actively think of, yet I find that I am drawn to quite easily. For those of you who are unaware of what curating means, Whatis  describes content curation as the "gathering, organizing and online presentation" of topics with a similar theme.  Creators seem to have a problem with curators for their lack of originality, but I would argue that not everyone can be a creator and curators make my life much easier. 

Part of this week's journey, I had to use bookmarking tools, which I had used in the past. I have found that this tool is very helpful in short term situations, but that if you need to remember multiple sites, it can become cluttered- which is something I do not like. I find that bookmarking does make my time on the internet much more efficient, instead of just remembering all of the tabs yourself. I find bookmarking the most useful in regards to academic journals that I want to include in some of my papers, which can easily get mixed up with other journals, so by bookmarking, it helps me keep track of everything.

http://www.bloggersideas.com/new-best-high-pr-do-follow-social-bookmarking-sites/

I also enjoyed looking at curation tools this week such as Google Alerts, which was very easy to navigate as I already have a Gmail address. I found what was best about these types of tools is that it reduces the amount of time that I would spend looking for a topic because the tool naturally does that for me. It reminds me of Pinterest, as I only need to let the tool know the topics that I need more knowledge on and it brings the topics to me. This is very useful for a university student who needs more information about a topic that she is studying or even about what is going on at her school or in her hometown. 
http://s40.photobucket.com/user/coolcatteacher/media/digitalcitizenship.jpg.html

As each week goes by, I am learning more about being a digital citizen because I am being exposed to so many new components of the internet that I never knew existed. I believe that I am becoming more digitally literate, especially in regards to the curation tools, which is beyond helpful as we are in a digital era. I know that my knowledge as a digital citizen will only continue to grow as the weeks pass in this course.

Until next time! 

2 comments:

  1. Nicole!

    You note " I had to use bookmarking tools, which I had used in the past."

    It is good to hear that you were already familiar with some of the tools. Anytime you have experience with a tool we are examining, please feel free to add any insights you have learned from your experience. I think we could all benefit from them.

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicole,

    I have also used bookmarking in the past but used it less often as of late because I wasn't able to use my bookmarks at school using the library computers. But I will definitely be starting to use them again with the help of Diigo, the tool that was recommended to us on the ADED sakai page. I hope that this tool helps you as much as I hope it helps me!

    Nisha

    ReplyDelete